October 15, 2012. Post Written by James Laplante. You can follow him on Twitter @JimLaPlante
I post frequently on the Montreal Gazette Hockey Inside Out site.
I enjoy chatting with other Montreal Canadien fans.
Today I was going to write a NHL preseason piece with predictions from some of my fellow Hockey Inside Out posters, Habinburlington, L Elle, CHrisadiens, along with the owners of this site Stephane and Lynda.
Due to the lockout I’ve chosen to do something a bit different.
As a Montreal Canadien fan I thought it’d be fun to see how many famous people share my love for the most storied franchise ever!
I was amazed to find a great number of actors, singers, rock and roll stars, and sports celebrity that share the fandom of the Habs.
Here are the ones who made my list.
The actor who played Bania on Seinfeld is a Habs fan. His real name is Steve Hytner. Not sure about Jerry although I know he is a N.Y. Met fan. He is actually a minority owner of that team.
Some other actors who are believed to be Hab fans:
- Jon Voight – Oscar winning actor
- Cheryl Hines – Larry David’s wife on Curb your Enthusiasm
- Sam Waterson – Law and Order
- George Stroumboulopulos – Host of CBC’s “The Hour”
- Danny DeVito – Actor, famous for his roll in the series “Taxi”
- Viggo Mortensen – Lord of the Rings
- William Shatner – Star Trek
- Kiefer Sutherland – 24 and Stand by Me
- Seann William Scott – The boy who liked Stifler’s Mom in American Pie. J
- Will Farrell – Ricky Bobby!
- Pamela Adlon – Bobby’s voice on “King of the Hill”
- Carson Daily – Late Night show HOST
- Dan Aykroyd – SNL Actor
- Ethan Hawke – Actor
I found many musicians who like the Habs. John Mayer is a huge fan of Les Canadiens.
Other fans from the music industry include:
- Wyclef Jean – Rapper and songwriter
- Chris Martin – Coldplay
- Fred Durst – Limp Bizkit
- David Gilmour – Pink
- Tre Cool – Green Day Drummer
- Shania Twain – Singer/songwriter
- Celine Dion – Singer
- Simple Plan – Montreal punk rock band
- Chris Martin – Singer ColdPlay
There are a huge number of athletes and sports celebrities who root for the bleu blanc and rouge. It is said that Hulk Hogan is among us.
Some other fans from the world of sports:
- Joe Buck – MLB announcer
- Mike Piazza – Former NY Met and LA Dodger star
- Eddie George – Former Tennessee Titan running back
- Georges St. Pierre – UFC Star
- Steve Kariya – Paul Kariya’s brother
- Erwin “Cannonball” Baker – Former NASCAR Star
- Tommy Lasorda – Former LA Dodger Manager
- Sidney Crosby – Well, probably not anymore.
I won’t list politicians as we all know they’re like weather vanes and will change directions at a moment’s notice.
However, no list would be complete without mentioning perhaps the greatest Montreal Canadien fan today. That would be our old friend from the days of the Montreal Expos, Youppi. You can find Youppi at all Montreal home games cheering his boys on.
No matter what team you root for I think I speak for all fans when I say, let’s hope this stupid lockout ends soon.
Go Habs Go!